What were the top tech stories of the past decade?
I’ve been discussing this topic with others recently on LinkedIn, and as I was editing GeekWire contributing writer Christopher Budd’s insightful commentary on the challenges created by technology over the past 10 years, it struck me that it would be worth sharing my list here, to add context and a different perspective.
Here’s my list.
- Machine learning, artificial intelligence.
- Breakthroughs in speech recognition and computer vision.
- Ascendance of Big Tech’s new guard: Facebook, Google, Snapchat, Twitter, etc.
- Amazon 3.0: Everything Store becomes Everything Company.
- Microsoft’s surprising renaissance.
- U.S. vs. China, new innovation race.
- Recognition of diversity, equity and inclusion in shaping next generation of technology.
- Security reckoning, real-world consequences of breaches and vulnerabilities.
- Privacy awakening, recognition of trade-offs in personal info and ‘free’ tech services.
- Blockchain, cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, transformation of financial markets.
- Tech employee activism, engagement.
- Smart speakers, voice assistants.
- Virtual and augmented reality.
- Cloud revolution, subscription software, developer tools.
- Rise of social media.
- Smartphone revolution.
- Digital photography explosion.
- Data, sensors and Internet of Things.
- Streaming, subscriptions, and the end of traditional TV.
- Commercial space travel and exploration.
What did I miss? What would you remove? What do you expect in the decade ahead?
Check out additional suggestions and input in the comments on LinkedIn. Ideas contributed by others there include quantum computing, the rise and fall of tablets, and social media’s impact on politics.
Email me or comment below with your thoughts.